The extensive refurbishment of an 1885 Victorian mansion is an entirely case-sensitive operation. Whilst respecting the heritage façade, at the rear of the house the living area has been reconfigured to create a continuous flow to the back garden, with bi-fold doors opening full-width beneath a cantilevered awning. The new layout effectively responds to the requirement for open plan living without dissolving the beauty of original features and formal hierarchies of spatial planning that is integral to a house of this scale and grandeur. The main entry, via a porte cochere, is flanked by traditional, formal lounge and dining rooms which break out onto covered verandas and a courtyard garden wrapped at its edge by an off-form concrete ‘perching’ wall. Meanwhile, the upper level has been reformulated to allow separate ensuites to each of the three bedrooms, as well as a media room.
The master-bedroom now leads onto an ensuite that sees the marriage of dressing room, large wardrobes, vanity area, two-person shower, free-standing bath and cleverly concealed WC – all in the one room. Completed 2008.